Electrical Distributors Since 1899
Formed over a century ago in the city of Leeds, Scattergood & Johnson are renowned in the electrical engineering distribution industry for our high levels of service, support and customer satisfaction.
Still privately owned, Scattergood & Johnson has expanded with branches now located in Gateshead, Glasgow, Manchester, Sheffield and Walsall but we are proud to still retain our head office on Lowfields Road, Leeds.
With over 110 years of experience and well earned reputation behind us, Scattergood & Johnson look forward to serving our customers throughout this century and beyond.
Over a century of serving the Leeds electrical industry
Scattergood & Johnson was founded over a century ago by Bernard P Scattergood who was previously an electrical engineer with Marshall & Fowler. It was four years later when Claude Johnson joined as partner. Mr Johnson remained with the company for only two years, yet his name remains to this day.
In 1912 JN Hargreaves joined his small business to that of Scattergood & Johnson and the company was moved to 7-9 Cookridge Street & Alexandra Street.
Mr Hargreaves' brother was involved with local collieries and Scattergood & Johnson supplied them with all their electrical equipment including Reyrolle plugs and sockets. The company developed and was incorporated in 1924 at which time JN Hargreaves became managing director.
Three years after the war, JN Hargreaves' son, Christopher joined the company after serving a four year electricians apprenticeship in Peckfield Colliery.
The next five years were an uphill struggle, having to rebuild the business from the ashes of the pit nationalisation. In 1953 they were appointed English Electric Distributor, providing the cornerstone of the power and distribution business.
The following year Christopher became managing director and the business moved again in 1956, to 30-31 St. Paul's Street and five years later the company was appointed stockists for MTE Motor Control Gear and once again they felt the need to move, transporting the business to 37-39 St. Paul's Street a little further along the road, in much bigger premises.
Christopher soon became chairman of the company, gaining complete control, and there followed another move in 1966 to Lowfields Road. Three years later his father died and there followed a period of change, seeing first, Joe Wardell and later, George Beaumont appointed to the board.
In 1982 Scattergood & Johnson opened their branch in Sheffield. Today, Scattergood & Johnson have branches in Gateshead, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield with their latest branch in Walsall being opened in 2008. Their state of the art locations with training and demonstration facilities provide the perfect platform for further expansion of the business and for their continued dedication to customers.